Sunday 15 January 2012

Preliminary Magazine (Cover and Contents) Evaluation


1.       Existing magazines that I had taken inspiration and various elements from included the Rolling stones music magazine, as I had taken picture in a way that resembles a celebrity appearance, by asking the model to look away from the camera. I used the typical conventions of the Rolling Stones magazine by cantering the master head and using a 2 colour pallet scheme with colours blue, black and white. I also looked to the music magazine Kerrang, which has the bold typography that I used
2.       During the course of this project I have developed in my Photoshop skills to a high standard, before I was very basic in my Photoshop skills, now I have learnt how to efficiently and neatly cut out pictures. As well as this I have explored the many special effects that Photoshop offers to customize images, as well as advancing in my  typography skills as I now can choose a colour pallet that looks professional.
3.       I think I was successful in a few element of my project, including the front cover which has a professional look towards it, especially the mid shot used. I was also pleased with the  layout of the contents page as it matched my original hand drawn design.
4.       If I was going to improve anything it would probably be the font and some of the colour scheme. As the picture I took was happy and the model was smiling, it should have been parallel to the font and colour scheme, e.g. using a formal but casual font such as Calibri or Comic sans, however I used a formal stencil type font. Also I used dull boring colours, when I should have been using yellows, reds and brighter colours.
5.       Improvements I made to my original hand drawn prelim, was the picture used as I used a picture of two teachers on my original but I thought it would be best to use a picture of a student, I also changed the font as I could not find one to make my prelim with. I had aslo0 changed a few elements of my contents page, because once I looked at it I changed my views.

1 comment:

  1. Some good points Balpreet. You definatley need to think about effective colour pallettes on a magazine.

    ReplyDelete